Saturday, October 21, 2006

Some initial thoughts on Office 2007
July 5 2007

Dear Team

I have been playing with the new Office 2007 product Beta 2. This is getting pretty close to the final production version even if it wont be released till 2007.

Here are some initial thoughts. I do believe that if you have the time – you should prepare yourself by working with it. It is VERY different.

Firstly the bad news

1. Just that is a very different animal

2. Based on many neutral web technologies – EG XML file structures resulting in larger files

3. New file extensions to worry about – .docx etc

4. The UI is just organized in a totally new manner. The idea being that a two tier architecture of access to the application provides you with more options that you use more frequently I think is flawed.

5. The application is supposed to “learn” how you operate. As many of you know I am a heavy user. Not necessarily a power one! I don’t see it learning very well so far

6. Finding functions that were previously very familiar and well used is now a royal pain. This different approach may be more intuitive for new users but doesn’t do a lot if you are familiar with the “old” ways. I sincerely hope they provide a “classic” compatibility view as they did with Wndows XP.

7. The help system is pretty rough. There is too much dependency on the web for help. I still want a robust internal F1 based system. BTW the new version is in HTML but has a bug that in my version only lets me see it in native HTML code

8. WAY TOO MANY MOUSE CLICKS. I feel it. While today I only have a mild RSI – this is due primarily to the force that I apply usually to the keyboard. Now I decidedly feel the tension and stress that my fingers and hand use in gripping the mouse and using the touch pad

9. You need a VERY BIG new machine. 2GB should be minimum for the main memory. Centrino Duo for laptops is de-rigeur. Don’t scrimp on a new machine – make sure you get a VERY high spec and make sure that it says VISTA READY. VISTA capable machines are OK but many of them are missing some component that will make VISTA underperform and consequently ditto for Office 2007

10. Watch out for Office add ins you may use like X1. It crucifies them – and the wimpy MS Search is not a match. I have significant problems as I use X1

Now the good news

It is pretty stable for this level of a release. While I don’t like some of the metaphors it uses – overall there is a ton of functionality that I knew was there but couldn’t touch easily before. For regular users who persevere with the new UE then it will be beneficial.

Bottom line – a steep learning curve and very different

Let me know how you get on. IT can be now downloaded for free from the MS Website or for $10 you can get a CD.

Cheers


Timothy

Timothy J O'Neil-Dunne
Managing Partner - T2Impact Ltd
Global Travel eBusiness
Tel (US) +1 425 836 4770
Mobile (US) +1 425 785 4457

Mobile (International) +44 7770 33 81 75
Fax +1 815 377 1583
www.t2impact.com

No comments: